Thursday, October 25, 2007

BOOKED!

I’ve been meaning to get my hair cut since about May-ish, and I’ve just never been able to get to it. I finally called my mom and asked her to book me an appointment for the weekend we’ll be in Las Vegas. I really don’t care about my hair, but it’s just a crazy example of how little discretionary time we seem to have these days.

Just about every night, weekend, holiday, and spare minute outside of work is booked through the end of January.

Why I need to suck it up:

  • Grad school is good for us. I know, I know. Plus it’s better to get it done now before we might have other beautiful little distractions.
  • I hate missing out on family events. I love getting to see everyone and getting to be a part of those memories. So even if it’s not super-convenient, I want to try to be there.
  • Handling all this without having a nervous breakdown will be good for us, and prepare us for the many years ahead when things are just as busy.

But here’s some whining anyway:

  • I miss sleeping, hanging out in pajamas, and walking up to our park. And getting to watch mindless crap on TV. I mean sure, we will make time for The Office, but what about the America’s Next Top Model marathon?
  • Don’t we seem far too young to be focusing so much on our career paths and futures and accumulated retirement? I’m a little bitter that we didn’t take off a few years to bum around Europe.
  • I hate disappointing people. During the rare occasions when we just can’t be there, I hate feeling like I killed someone’s puppy.

So that’s it. Enjoy this blog because it may have to last you through Christmas.

1 comment:

Mark A Hanna said...

You and Steve continue to impress me with your remarkable ability to make everything work out. Your wedding comes to mind as the perfect example: graduate NAU one weekend, get hitched the next :-) I write this knowing that your organizational skills are being challenged by an inept airline industry, but hey! Were you really in that big a hurry to get to St. Louis? We love you, my darling, and I am glad to learn that you are finding happiness along the way of life's journey. Good ol' John Lennon: "Life is what happens while you're busy making plans."