Tuesday, May 15, 2007

You gotta getcha getcha getcha get your head in the game

So there seems to be a lot of political game playing that goes on in any office. My office is not immune. I trust that they're all good people, but I have to say I'm at a loss for some people's motivations. In other words, I'm really bad at this stuff.

When something goes wrong, I try to accept responsibility for my part in whatever happened and then fix it. I don't brag about how much work I do or how well I do it. I'm polite to the higher ups, and I'll talk to them like I would any other human being, but my nose is clean. I don't got to church with the President, or take my child to the same day care as the Provost. So on and so forth...

I mentioned to my supervisor the other day that I really hate the get-ahead game because I just don't feel right about it. I told her, "Anything I can't get by working hard and being a good person, I don't really want." She looked at me and said, "I hate to tell you, but I've been here a long time, and it just doesn't work that way." So I guess I better brush up on my golf game and get used to saying, "That's just a great suit, you look so dignified."

In other news, I'm excited to go to Montana this weekend. I can't believe it's been a year since we've seen all of the Schmitzes. However, I must admit I'm also really looking forward to having next weekend at home. We're really excited to have the Schulz family come up to see our place, and it will also be nice to spend more than 11 waking hours in our place in a 7 day period. Don't get me wrong, I love visiting family, but it's also exhausting to be on the road every weekend. Unless we had a tour bus with a bed, a Wii, a DVD player, satellite Internet and a driver. Then maybe it would be different.

Date: 5/10-13/07
Time/Distance: 0 miles in 0 minutes
Pathetic Excuse: In Phoenix for the weekend

Date: 5/14/07
Time/Distance: 0 miles in 0 minutes, but we did bike 7 miles
Pathetic Excuse: Biking 7 miles is tiring

2 comments:

Mark A Hanna said...

I will welcome your input as I wrestle with the very same issue on my blog. I'm approaching it from the vantage of classism, but there are any number of names for the game-playing we humans are so in to. Again, I find myself apologizing for not having personally possessed the type A genes to pass on to you for your future success in the world. In truth, however, I find Emerson's definition of success to be much more valid, and in that light I can think of no one more successful than you. Hang in there, kiddo! The hope is that the time is coming when all the brown-nosers (I am relieved to learn that you're keeping yours clean) will be exposed for the less-than-human creatures they really are.

Anonymous said...

fyi... your high school musical reference did not go unnoticed. kudos.