Thursday, December 11, 2008

Steve’s not allowed to pick our Netflix anymore

On Wednesday night we subjected ourselves to three episodes of the show Once and Again. Steve put the show on our queue because he “respects” Evan Rachel Wood as an “actress.” As far as I can tell the show is just hour after hour of dramatic, uncomfortable make-out sessions between 40-year-old people with uber-complicated divorces. Not my idea of a good time.

But the desire for those 2 hours and 15 minutes of my life didn’t upset me nearly as much as the dream I had Wednesday night after we watched it:

Steve told me that he was leaving me for Kayle (the college roommate who was the reason we met). I was shocked, and started to argue with him that he needed to stay with me. But the more I argued, the more he smiled, like “I’m so glad that I made this decision and will never have to deal with you again.”

Then I told him I was going to leave right then, thinking it would shock him into not letting me go. But again he smiled and happily started divvying up our stuff. He got our bamboo – the bamboo that was a housewarming gift for our first place more than five years ago – because it was from Michelle.

And then the real awfulness of the situation started to sink in for me. I was going to be alone, without a plant, while he lived with Kayle in our apartment with our stuff, and he was so happy about it.

I felt so relieved when I woke up, although it did take a second second to shake it all off. I put my head on Steve's shoulder and went back to sleep.

When I told Steve about it the next day he offered this helpful suggestion: “Next time you dream I’m leaving you, can it be for someone other than Kayle?”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rachel! This is priceless! Please, tell Steve he's a "very" good husband, because he had the "right" answer! Now you know that Kayle means NOTHING in comparison to YOU.

:-) Love to both of you,
Tamara

Mark A Hanna said...

It must be something in the stars for us Capricorns. Last night I dreamt that Kevin kidnapped Rebecca!

Unknown said...

Bryan told me I'm not allowed to single-handedly pick our Netflix either; too many wierd Indie flicks I guess!

Unknown said...

P.S. I miss watching Netflix with you guys!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Steve has been "respecting" her as an actress ever since she starred in his favorite movie "Little Secrets."