Friday, March 6, 2009

"Our" House

I can’t pinpoint the exact moment that we started to talk about living with my parents. And not in a “crash in my old room until we can get our own place” kind of way, but intentionally choosing to share a space, share costs, live simply, and live together. It’s not a common decision, at least not in recent times, but we knew it was a good decision for us.

Reading Pride and Prejudice has romanticized the idea a bit for me. Visions of huge family estates in the country passed down from generation to generation make modern living seem so cheap and disposable.

Not that our little house in the burbs of Fort Collins could really be compared to an English estate (if the bank even approves the short sale), but the idea is the same. We’ll have a family home, a home made possible by previous generations and a home base for family scattered across the country.

I think about the people who made it possible for us to get to this place – my parents, my Grandma Jean (whose birthday would have been tomorrow) and my Grandpa Bill (who I never got to meet), my Grammy, and the rest of our family who always loved and supported us. I love the idea that it will be our house. And with any luck, the unconditional love and generosity of all of these individuals will continue to grow and thrive in this place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that lovely post, my dear. I share the gratitude for family which you so beautifully expressed.

Mark A Hanna said...

Ditto :-)