Friday, June 6, 2008

Socially Awkward

In a lot of ways it has been great having Steve at home. He brings me peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and we have yet to end up with a 5 foot tall pile of dishes in our sink. However, the only problem with our current roles is that I, as the one who goes out into the world and sees people, should probably be the one making us some friends.

However, I am a complete social misfit reject loser. I’m polite, but I think that is where my social skills end. The worst part is, I have a pretty good idea what I could do to fix this. Repeatedly in my head I think, “Ask people what they’re doing this weekend! Ask about their families! Share something small and neutral about your personal life, like ‘I like cookies!’” But then I get the other voice that says, “I can’t just say stuff out of the blue, it will be awkward. I’ll sound forced and weird and stupid. I suck!” I don’t think its schizophrenia because neither voice has an accent.

And this weekend a co-worker invited me to a BBQ for his daughter’s birthday. Of course I over-thought it until I couldn’t possibly go. “He’s just doing it be polite. It doesn’t look like anyone else from work can go. If I show up, I’ll just stand awkwardly in a corner somewhere. And we’ll have to explain we’re vegetarians. And what if his daughter doesn’t like books and we get her a book for a birthday present and then they think we’re weird reading-pushing people? Or if what if we buy a toy that was painted in China and they think we’re awful people?” So instead, we’re probably going to Denver by ourselves…

Once Steve is working, I fully anticipate that we’ll make friends. Because if someone invited him for BBQ, he’d say “Cool.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good ice breaker that could help is baking cookies for your work group. It makes people happy and unless they have a nut allergy, they will totally love you. Plus you'll get to use the whole "I like cookies" line. =O)

Anonymous said...

Alli's got the right idea. "Noth'en says love'n than sonething from the oven, and chocolate chip says it best"

Rachel, you are an incredible young woman with so many talents and gifts that will bless the lives of all you come in contact with. All of us know that, but you have to believe it too!

When it comes to gifts, try age appropriate with the gift receipt included. No child gets excited about a gift certificate. Would it hurt if children actually learned to read? Just nothing heavy like sponge bob's version of "War and Peace"

Once the word gets out that you are vegetarians you will be invited to every BBQ in town, at least until the price of Zuchini exceeds the price of steak.

...and last of all, forget the voices in your head, and listen to your heart.

Mark A Hanna said...

Obviously, I am not the only one who has been patiently waiting for a new post. Your mother will tell you exactly where your introverted genes come from, but, hey! some of us have to provide the balance to gregarious extroverts. Yet again I will refer you to the "want to borrow a jack?" parable which I learned of from Grammy. The future is bright for you and Steve and you just need to put your light on the stand rather than hide it under a basket (which could also start a fire). I am blessed to be your father.
Love,
Dad

Rachel said...

Obviously those of you who suggested I bring baked goods have not consumed said baked goods from my kitchen. But perhaps Twinkies could work. Vegan Twinkies?