Wednesday, November 5, 2008

At peace

America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves -- if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made?

This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment.

This is our time, to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth, that, out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope. And where we are met with cynicism and doubts and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: Yes, we can.

-President-elect Barack Obama

I slept well last night. An overwhelming feeling of contentedness has filled me knowing that for the next four years (at least), I have faith in the person who will be leading our country. I have faith that he will take care of our people and our Earth. I have faith that the world is a better place because of the decision that was made last night. It will not be an easy transition, but I am filled with patience and perseverance.

The only dark spot on this historic night of breaking down barriers was the intolerance and prejudice shown by those who voted to strip away the civil rights of one segment of our population. This vote profoundly affects every citizen because it erodes this country’s founding principle that all men are created equal.

But if this election has taught me anything, it’s not to give up. I know now that together we can make a difference, and together our voices will be heard. I’m not giving up hope, and I will not be complacent.

This is just the beginning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it any better. Yesterday changed things for the better and it's amazing when you can actually feel the hope and excitement radiating from you.

Oh yes, if you are talking of the gay marriage bans in both CA and AZ, I completely share in your disappointment. I only hope that those who were opposed to such hate filled propositions will protest these decisions. After all, they only won by a narrow margin.

Rachel said...

Yes, gay marriage bans in Florida, Arkansas, Arizona, and California.

Just like we look back on racial discrimination and are shocked at how poorly people were treated because of the color of their skin, I think we'll look back on these decisions and be ashamed that our society treated the gay population as second-class citizens.

Mark A Hanna said...

Beautifully expressed!