Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bad Friend

So today, via Facebook, I saw pictures of my “best friend” from high school’s bridal shower. A bridal shower I knew nothing about for a wedding I know nothing about. A bridal shower that a lot of people I went to high school with appear to have attended. People I probably would have called my friends at some point.

It made me wonder why, when these people still seem to have such a bond, I have nothing to do with any of them anymore. And then it struck me that I'm kind of a bad friend.

I don’t keep in touch. Maybe it’s moving every 3 years while I was growing up, but I’ve always just kind of moved on – out of sight, out of mind. And if you expect me to call on the phone, just forget it.

I’m not good at sharing my feelings. If you can’t decipher how I feel about you through an endless monologue of sarcasm, I really don’t know how to help you.

I hold grudges. Don’t call me back Thanksgiving weekend after I called you? Hope you don’t expect to ever talk to me again.

I’m defensive. It’s not like anyone else did such a great job of keeping in touch. Why should I have to be the one to put in the effort?

The downside of this is that there are some good people, good friends, who aren’t a part of my life anymore. And while I’m happy with my life, and glad that every weekend isn’t like a mini high school reunion, there is a part of me that is sad that I won’t be there to see Terri get married.


P.S. - Just had to comment on the irony of this post sitting next to my Twitter badge that says "unless you're making fun of a third person who's also there. then it's hilarious!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This just proves my theory: facebook runs lives.

I don't keep in touch with my old friends either, but it's because I'm better than they are. Bad friends unite...and do nothing because that's what we're good at.=O)

Anonymous said...

I meant to say ruins...oops.

Steve said...

All I know is that I am really grateful for you friendship as it has made me one happy Dude.

Unknown said...

what am i? chopped liver?!

Rachel said...

No, you're the best friend a girl and her husband could ask for! :-)

I'm totally over it and so glad I didn't have to waste a night of my life at a bridal shower with the happy fun brigade.